Kodava Koota is a non-profit organization founded in 2017 by like-minded Kodavas living in North America under the leadership of Mrs. Gina Konganda, a passionate Kodavathi and entrepreneur based out of Dallas, Texas.
She constituted a Board of 8 members who are equally committed to the cause and have been managing the organization undertaking several initiatives both in North America and Kodagu.
Appachu Ballachanda, Phoenix, AZ – Vice President
Appanna Chottera, New Jersey – Secretary
Avinash Chottangada, Atlanta, GA – Treasurer
Nithan Monnanda, Philadelphia, PA – Kodagu Initiatives
Nalini Kuliyakanda Goldsboro, NC – Culture and Traditions
Priya Pattada San Francisco, CA – Membership
Subbaiah Cherumandanda, Los Angeles, CA – Career and Entrepreneurship
Kodava Koota Board is passionate about helping Kodagu and Kodavas living in North America as well as our motherland Kodagu which is so dear to us.
Kodava Koota operates on a nominal membership fee it charges in North America and various donations from its members. The organization intends to continue these initiatives and help not only the residents of Kodagu but also contribute to the conservation and development of the environment which is a critical need of the hour.
Over the last 2.5 years, Kodava Koota has undertaken several initiatives for the betterment of Kodagu and Kodavas.
Below are the initiatives carried out in 2019
- High School Achievement Award instituted by Bacharanianda Muthappa & Rani Education fund.
- Kodava Genome Project, a Kodava genetic Initiative by Kodira Dilip.
- Project Coorg: Kodava Koota embarked upon a fund-raising campaign in 2018 to help victims of floods and landslides in Kodagu. It then collaborated with Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan and has so far spent Rs. 43.5 lakhs on Project Coorg to support the victims in Kalur near Madikeri. The funds were utilized to construct a building, procure a van for mobile store and provide stipend to the women working under a group called Yashasvi that prepares local food products. For more details please access http://www.coorgflavours.com/
- Kodava Koota constituted a legal team of volunteers who successfully fought against the illegal occupation of Devakaad (sacred groves) in certain parts of Kodagu. Kodava Koota also funded the expenses of this team.
- Helped Sai Shankar School near Ponnampet build IT Infrastructure at a cost of about Rs. 6 lakhs which is benefiting more than 165 children displaced by the floods of 2018.
- Worked with Lions Club, Gonikoppal and Coorg Wildlife Society to purchase 50,000 Vetiver Tillers to be planted in landslide impacted areas. This was done at a cost of more than Rs 2.6 lakhs.
- Working with Clean Coorg Initiative and Hasirudala to establish dry waste recycling in Kodagu. Kodava Koota has invested Rs. 2 lakhs to fund for the salary of an employee for 2 years.
- Supporting Sri Ramakrishna Residential Care Home in Ponnampet by helping them establish chain link fence, solar lights and paint the building. Currently funding half of their operating expenditure and committing to support them in the future.